Please join us in urging legislators to pass these important reforms.
The current budget situation in each of the states has forced officials to look at what the public is getting for the costs of prisons. Basically, we lock up too many people who are not dangerous, and it is more effective to hold them accountable and treat these low-risk offenders in the community rather than in expensive prison beds.
Each state’s legislation is tailored to fit local needs. However, there are common elements in the bills:
- Reserve costly prison beds for the truly dangerous offenders
- Impose measured sanctions swiftly and with certainty
- Put savings from the reforms into programs proven to be effective at reducing crime and recidivism
TAKE ACTION NOW!
Below are some practical ways you can help to pass these bills:
- Learn about the issues. We have developed individual pages for each of the target states: Georgia, Oklahoma and Missouri.
- Call, email and write your legislators. You will find contact information for your senators and representatives on the state pages. We have also provided a suggested letter. Then, sign up so we can keep you informed of the progress of this legislation.
- Spread the word. Even if you don’t live in these states you can forward this email to your friends that do. If you are residents of the target states, please tell your friends and neighbors. Discuss the bills with your pastor, Bible study group, and any clubs to which you belong. Write a letter to the editor of your local papers. Call a talk radio show and let the listeners know about this important effort. Do all you can to let people know about these reforms.
- Pray for these efforts. Ask God for guidance in our endeavors, and that He will open the hearts and minds of legislators to these reforms.