Depression. Anger. Risk-taking behavior.
The children of inmates are at greater risk for a wide range of emotional and behavioral problems that too often lead to a criminal lifestyle. Going beyond the Angel Tree Christmas program, Angel Tree Mentoring equips churches to match vulnerable children with caring, Christian mentors who will point them toward Jesus and help them stay on course.
Studies indicate that mentoring by a caring adult is the single most effective strategy for building character and curbing destructive behavior.
Christian mentors can improve the lives of prisoners' children by:
- Being an example of the love of Jesus Christ.
- Improving young people’s attitudes towards their parents, peers and teachers.
- Encouraging students to stay motivated and focused on their education.
- Providing a positive way for young people to spend free time.
- Helping young people face daily challenges.
- Offering young people opportunities to consider new career paths and get much-needed economic skills and knowledge.
The mentor is not expected to be the child's savior, therapist, surrogate parent, or peer. The mentor is meant to be a friend, a coach, a confidant, and a role model.
How Do I Get Started?
Call 800.55.ANGEL (26435) to find out more about mentoring. We will send you the Angel Tree Mentoring DVD to share with your church. We will also help you find an organization or initiative in your area that can help you with your mentoring ministry.