Discover answers to commonly-asked questions about prison.
To help volunteers understand more about the prison environment, we've prepared a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about prison.
- What is the difference between jail and a prison?
- Do all jails and prisons offer religious programs to inmates?
- How available are chaplains to prisoners?
- How do prisoners typically spend their days?
- What types of educational programs are available to prisoners?
- What types of jobs do prisoners have?
- How does the prison commissary system work?
- What type of medical care do prisoners receive?
- Why is respect so important within the prison environment?
- What is protective custody (PC)? Does it reduce violence?
- What are the consequences for breaking prison rules?
- What is administrative segregation ("ad seg")?