BECOME A SECOND CHANCE MONTH PARTNER
Since 2017, Prison Fellowship® has spearheaded a nationwide effort to reduce the barriers people with a criminal record face by mobilizing partners across the nation to celebrate Second Chance Month® each April. Together, we can change the narrative for returning citizens and their families for generations to come.
Why should your church become a Second Chance Month Partner?
- Fulfill God’s calling for your church. Second chances are at the heart of the Gospel. As Christ’s ambassadors, we have been declared ministers of reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:17–21).
- Broaden your community impact. Creating a second-chance culture broadens your church’s reach in the community. You can become a beacon of hope for local families seeking a safe environment and compassionate community.
- Minister to your own congregation. There are likely families in your church carrying the burden of a criminal record. Many remain silent about their past due to the shame they feel or stigma that sometimes comes with having a record. Starting this conversation can empower your congregation to experience healing and share their own stories.
What does it mean to be a Second Chance Month Partner?
- You communicate the God-given value of every person. By partnering, you’re communicating to your congregation and community that all men and women—including those with a criminal record—are more than the sum of their past failures. They are made in the image of God, and that identity gives them value.
- You offer hope and a second chance. You declare that your church offers a compassionate, supportive community for people needing a second chance. You do not diminish the value of accountability or enable destructive behaviors to continue. But for those who have fully faced the consequences of their actions, you open pathways to restoration and redemption.
- You raise awareness for change. You’ll gain access to practical resources to help your church foster a second-chance culture during April and beyond. This includes a short film you can share during a Sunday service in April that features the inspiring story of Jermaine Wilson’s journey from prison cell to mayor’s office. Plus, you will be given a free copy of Outrageous Justice®, a biblical and practical small-group study of God’s heart for true justice. And much more!
What resources will I receive as a Second Chance Month Partner?
- Screening access to Jermaine Wilson’s powerful second-chance story of how a formerly incarcerated man became the mayor of his town.
- Next Step cards to distribute to your church members so you can explain the importance of second chances and how to spread the word throughout the month.
- Outrageous Justice®, a free small-group curriculum designed to awaken Christians to the need for justice that restores in our churches and communities.
- Tools to help you further your understanding of the barriers returning citizens face.
- Ten “Unlock Second Chances” T-shirts for you to share with your church leaders.
Will you join us this April? Fill out this form to get started!
Keep an eye on your inbox! We will equip you with all the essential information and resources needed to celebrate Second Chance Month, along with other ministry opportunities and updates.